Writing funeral thank you notes might be difficult for many people, especially during this time when they are still grieving for the loss of their loved ones. Their situation is understandable, and as guests, we should give them some time to calm down and recover.
If you are in their situation and you think you have already spent a reasonable amount of time to express your grief, you might want to start sending out funeral thank you notes to your friends and family members who supported you on this very hard time. The following are a few tips that might be helpful to you.
1. It is best to send out a thank you note that is handwritten. This way, you make your visitors feel that very personal connection you have with them. You make them realize how much you appreciated their presence and encouraging words when you were down and full of sorrow and grief.
2. Decide what type of paper you would use. There are many types of paper available in bookstores and office supply stores for you to select from. It all depends on your taste. However, it is advisable that you purchase something that is not too loud or too bright. Find something that has a calming, peaceful and serene effect. Those stationeries that come in light colors and have a soft, good scent would be perfect.
3. Write a message that is sincere. It does not matter how long it is, as long as you impart to them how important their contribution to make you feel better was. Use simple but strong words.
4. Aside from your friends and relatives, you should also send a thank you note to the other people who helped you organize the whole funeral. The people working in the funeral home, the church, the florist, and others, would never forget your thoughtfulness for the rest of their lives once they receive a handwritten note showing your gratitude to them.
5. If you have not decided on what to write on your card, you can always settle for the generic ones. For example, “Thank you for your support at this very sad and difficult time. It is very much appreciated.”
Your funeral thank you notes need not be full of flowery words. The most important thing is that your message comes from deep within you heart. That way, the receivers will know that they have aided in your sufferings, which was their primary reason for being there for you in the first place.